Roulette Odds and House Advantage

Roulette, whether played online or in a brick-and-mortar casino, is a comparatively simple games to play. The game of Roulette offers players multiple betting options and proportionate pay back returns. Even though it is a simple casino game, there are things to learn if you’ve never played a game of Roulette before. To beat live roulette or online roulette, one must know what they are up against. When you learn the odds, you extensively increase the potential of having a good time playing the game.

The game of Roulette attracts numerous amounts of casino players with its biggest payout of 35 to 1. This means that when playing online roulette or Roulette in a casino, you can win up to 35 times the amount of the money bet in one spin. Of course the odds of winning that bet are relatively low but there are other types of Roulette bets with better odds if you are looking for less variance.

Best Roulette Online Casinos for 2018

Comparison of Top US Gambling Sites usa sites

Our Editors Top Picks For Best US Online Casinos of 2018
  1. Cherry Gold
    • #1 Trusted US Casino
    • Visa, MC, Amex, BTC
    • 3-6 Hr. Withdrawals
  2. Bo Vegas
    • Quality Casino Design
    • Solid Game Selection
    • 6-12 Hr. Withdrawals
  3. Exclusive Casino
    • Full RTG Game Suite
    • Excellent Reputation
    • 6-12 Hr. Withdrawals
  4. Golden Lion
    • Best Site For Slots
    • 500+ Rival Games
    • 6-12 Hr. Withdrawals
  5. Eclipse Casino
    • Brand New Site Design
    • Top Casino Promotions
    • 12-18 Hr. Withdrawals

So how can we know what Roulette bet is not risky or is more profitable?

In all roulette games, the less risky wagers are the even money bets, and then followed by the column and dozen bets, and the inside bets. It also depends on which type of roulette games you play (American or European). Regardless of the roulette bet you chose, the pay out is proportional to the odds of winning so the choice of bet type really depends on your risk preferences as a casino player.

The house edge on a straight up bet (single number bets) in American Roulette with 38 numbered slots is 2/38 or 5.26%, which is almost double the house edge of European Roulette (which has a house edge of 2.7% since there is no double zero spot). So, the chances of you making a profit in American roulette aren’t as much as the European roulette wheel. However, despite this, American roulette is one of the most popular casino table games in the United States and Canada.

In roulette, the house edge is the same on every bet you make. But that is not to say the odds of winning are identical with every bet. If you bet on a single number at an American Roulette table, the odds of winning are 1/38, or 2.63%. On the same roulette table, the odds of winning even money bets like red/black is close to 50%. There are 18 red numbers and 18 black numbers, so the chances of winning is 18/38 x 100 or 47.37%, which is as close to a coin flip opportunity that you’re going to get in a Casino.

Keep in mind that regardless of what roulette strategy or roulette betting system is used, every spin is completely random and independent of each other. Even though a red number has come up ten times in a row, it doesn’t mean a black number is more likely to come up on the next spin, and the same thing can be said about any roulette bet you decide to make. Roulette is a Casino game so the casino has an advantage over the player. The ratio of payout compared to the odds is in favour of the casino and there is no sure way of winning at Roulette. That does not mean that you can’t win, but to win at Roulette, like at any Casino game, you need luck!

Useful Roulette Tips

With that being said, the following tips aims to extend your play time in roulette. Some of the tips that I’m about to give are viewed as traditional roulette strategies but they are perfect for players who tend to not risk much or tend to lose as little as they can.

Be sure to only play on European Roulette tables because the chances of winning is much higher than the American roulette game found in most US casinos. Brick and Mortar American Casinos might not all offer that game but you are sure to find European Roulette tables in all online casinos. You can visit any of the online casinos we recommend on this site if you wish to play Roulette online. The odds of winning and payouts are the same than in a real casino and these online casinos all offer low betting limits so you can actually enjoy the game of Roulette without risking much money.

This is true for any casino game but make sure you set a limit for your betting in each roulette session and stick to it. Do not spend all your money in one game and don’t risk more money than you are comfortable with losing. Playing Casino games must be fun and a chance to get lucky. Don’t bet more than you can lose and generally stick to the table minimum if what you want is to play for fun.

After winning don’t you double your bet, always pocket your winnings and go back to your original bet. All the roulette spins are independent of one another. Your odds of winning do not improve if you have just won. They do not go down, but they do not go up either. If you have been lucky enough to win, we recommend that you go back to your original bet size or just a little bit above and don’t start risking much more. Remember, Roulette is a game based on luck and is completely random.

Avoid placing too many inside bets, they are the riskiest ones and you can lose very quickly if you bet only on those. If you want to enjoy your time in the casino for a long time, prefer the color or street bets. The odds of winning are better and you can maintain your playing money longer.

A good way to enjoy a longer playing session and more chances of winning is to play at an online casino. Online casinos offer welcome bonuses where you can deposit some money and receive more casino chips than you paid for. By taking advantage of these bonus offers, you can bring more money to the Roulette table and play longer or place more lower odds bets to try to win a big pay out.

Lastly, do not play a five-number bet in American Roulette, as this option is one of the worst roulette bets you can place because it increases the house edge to 7.89%.

Playing the martingale at the roulette table

One of the most used betting techniques in the world is the martingale and it is a way to make a guaranteed profit at Roulette. A guaranteed profit up to the day when the Martingale loses however.
The principle of the martingale is simple. Place a bet on red or black, one of the coin-flip type bets of Roulette. If you win the bet, walk away from the table and pocket the profit. If you lose, place the same bet again but double your stake. If you win this time, step away from the Roulette table and pocket the profits. If you lose again, repeat the process: place the same bet but double the stake again.

With the Martingale technique, you are guaranteed a profit equal to you original stake, as long as you can keep going forever. But the fact is that you cannot go on forever playing the Martingale at a Roulette table. The first reason is that you can quickly run out of money. Take an example with a $10 initial stake. If you lose 4 times in a row, which is possible because roulette results are completely random, your fifth bet is already $160. The 6th bet is $320 and so on. You need to have a very big bankroll to be able to play the Martingale long enough to be sure to make a profit…

The second issue with trying the Martingale is that Roulette tables have minimum and maximum bet limits. You are not able to place a $1 Million dollars bet on a roulette table with a $10 minimum bet. When playing Roulette online, you have a better chance of making the Martingale work because the spread of betting limits is larger but there is still a cap…

In short, the Martingale is a losing proposition. Using the martingale technique, you might be able to make a profit multiple times in a row playing roulette online or in a brick and mortar casino. But there will come a time when the losing streak is just too long and you will either run out of money or reach the casino limits.

Just play Roulette as it is intended: for fun. The odds and payout of roulette are always in line and there is no way for you or the casino to influence the outcome. Roulette is a completely random game and you can have nice wins and a good time as long as you remember the odds and chose your bets based on these and the size of your casino play bankroll.

Related articles: