On Saturday night, a building under construction at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in New Orleans collapsed. More than 20 people were initially thought to be injured. Now, reports are surfacing that workers are still missing inside the New Orleans Hard Rock collapse.
It’s terrible news to hear about those injured or killed in this accident. Today, we’re going to talk about Louisiana’s laws on casino gambling. We’ll also look at how this accident happened and who it’s affected. Let’s get started!
Casino Gambling Laws in Louisiana
The state of Louisiana has had a love/hate relationship with the gambling industry over the years. The first legal gambling options became available here more than 200 years ago. Since that time, lawmakers have banned and relegalized various forms of gambling that can now be enjoyed here today.
Louisiana’s first real regulated gambling option was the state lottery that appeared in the 1860s. Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for lottery officials to fall into corruption and soon politicians here recognized that something needed to change. By the late 1800s, this lottery was officially banned.
After the lottery was outlawed, the only real form of gambling here was pari-mutuel wagering on horse races. New Orleans has kept its horse racing tradition alive. Today, there are a huge number of “racinos,” which offer horse racing odds and certain casino games.
There are also a huge number of land-based casinos and poker rooms spread around the state. The majority of casinos here are located on riverboats. Some can now be found on land, as well.
Unfortunately, Louisiana still has a tough stance on online gambling. Lawmakers here have made it clear that all forms of wagering over the internet are banned. The state has only shown an interest in targeting online gambling companies and many individuals choose to play through LA casino sites anyways.
New Orleans Hard Rock Collapse Kills Two, Injures Dozens
One of the most popular gambling venues in Louisiana is the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in New Orleans. This casino has gained a fantastic reputation amongst gamblers thanks to its massive range of gaming options and great amenities. This week, one of the buildings that were under construction in this hotel collapsed.
It was unclear at first how many were injured in the New Orleans Hard Rock collapse. Initial reports claimed that around 15 had been hurt. LaToya Cantrell, Mayor of New Orleans, was one of the first officials to confirm that two individuals had been killed.
“We can confirm we have lost two people, a third has not been found just yet so we don’t know. We have not been able to identify the three individuals,” she told the media.
It’s now being confirmed that more than 20 people have been injured. One of the individuals killed has been identified, as well. You can check out the dramatic footage of this collapse below.
Officials on the scene are confirming that one worker is still missing inside the New Orleans Hard Rock collapse.
Search for Missing Worker Continues
It’s still not clear exactly how this building collapsed. We may not know for weeks exactly what happened. Right now, fire departments in New Orleans and the building’s construction firm are working to make the area safe for search crews.
Tim McConnell, Fire Chief of the city, is trying to stabilize the collapsed building. He’s considering utilizing a massive crane to prevent tumbling.
“We have someone we have not located and can’t get to where we think they might be,” McConnell said. “Our goal here is to continue making the scene safe so we can continue getting into this building deeper and deeper for rescue purposes.”
Citadel Builders LLC, the construction firm for this project, is flying out individuals from Europe to help crews remove debris and search for more victims. It’s been confirmed that one worker is still in the wreckage. Whether or not he’s alive is unknown.
The structure is still very unstable. We’ll need to wait for updates on the search over the next 24 hours. Stay tuned for more information!