SNHD Confirms 126 Cases of COVID-19 in Southern NV

COVID-19 GraphicAs of Friday evening, the Southern Nevada Health District (SNHD) has reported a total number of 126 coronavirus cases in Clark County.

Prior to the evening findings, the departed reported 74 cases during their press conference this Friday afternoon.

In addition to the updated total of cases, SNHD also announced the second COVID-19 death of a Clark County resident, a woman in her 60s with underlying health conditions.

“As of March 19, the Southern Nevada Health District reports 74 confirmed cases in Clark County and unfortunately, we’re reporting a second death in Clark County — a woman in her 60s with underlying medical conditions,” said Dr. Mike Johnson, the organization’s director of community health.

The first reported death of COVID-19 was a Clark County man in his 60s with underlying health conditions.

Dr. Fermin Leguen, acting chief health officer of the Southern Nevada Health District, released this statement after the first confirmed death from the virus in the state:

“This loss of life is a tragedy, and we want to express our condolences to the family…We must continue to emphasize how important it is to protect those who are most vulnerable to the impacts of the virus and urge our community to support the public health measures and recommendations that are in place.”

SNHD Health Safety Guidelines to the Public

“If you have a mild cough, fever, or other respiratory symptoms, contact your doctor first,” SNHD said. “Practice everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses: Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.”

Other tips include:

  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid shaking hands.
  • Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
  • Keep 6 feet of distance between yourself and others.
  • Stay informed.
  • Stay home if sick whenever possible.

Drive-thru COVID-19 Testing Halted

Sahara West Urgent Care stopped their drive-thru COVID-19 testing services three days after opening it to the public due to lack of manpower, according to staff members.

While there a lot of test kids, there simply isn’t enough staff available to help administer staff.

“I’m running thin. I’m running really thin. I only have four staff members right now,” said Jose Triana, Practice Manager at Sahara West Urgent Care.

Patients who have been to the facility comment on how “exhausted” and “run down” staff members at Urgent Care looked these past few days.

According to Triana, aside from limited staff members, those who are helping out are working overtime at no cost to help ease residents’ concerns through their testing services.

“It’s payroll for me,” Triana said. “I just can’t afford them to be here every single day, overtime and everything like that when we’re doing this out of the greatness of our hearts.”

Eager people wishing to get tested anxiously waited in line for over four hours, with some of them camping overnight. Unfortunately, they had to be turned away this morning due to the lack of manpower at Sahara West Urgent Care.

The facility has tested approximately 800 people so far. Currently, they have 300 test kits left and plan to replenish the supply once it runs out.

New Requirements to get Tested

Triana said that in order for patients to get tested at their facility, they will need a referral from their primary doctor first. Once they have that, they’ll be able to make an appointment to get tested for COVID-19.

“Call in. We’ll ask you to send or give us your information via email or over the phone and we’ll go ahead and we’ll schedule you the next available appointment for the COVID testing,” Triana said.