Las Vegas headliners are showing their generous support to the city that lets them rock out on stage on most nights.
With casino closures in full effect until April 30, and nowhere for them to play their normal sets, these headliners are still going above and beyond to help support the Vegas economy that’s been rocked the hardest during these challenging times.
Some of those headliners include David Copperfield, Jay Leno, the Jabbawockeez, Shin Lim, and Boyz II Men. According to the company, all in all, their contributions have helped the MGM Resorts’ employee fund reach an incredible $11 million.
MGM made a statement on Tuesday that acknowledged their entertainment partners aid in helping provide necessary short-term financial relief to their employees and their immediate families through the Employee Emergency Grant Fund.
“We are incredibly humbled by the support of our entertainment partners, who have come together to assist the people who, during normal times, are committed to creating incredible experiences for our guests from around the world,” said acting CEO Bill Hornbuckle.
The Generous List Of Stars Who’ve Donated
A slew of other celebrities donated to the fund and deserve a round of applause and many thanks.
Those stars include Bill Maher, Kathleen Madigan, David Spade, Brad Garrett, Carrot Top, Terry Fator, Ray Romano, Thunder from Down Under, Hans Klok, Australian Bee Gees, and Fantasy and Bill Blumenreich Presents, according to MGM.
We must also give an honorable mention to singer-songwriter Bruno Mars, who was in the midst of his Las Vegas residency at Park MGM when operations got shuttered. Alone, he donated $1 million to the fund.
The estate of late the Las Vegas businessman and philanthropist, Kirk Kerkorian, donated $2 million to the emergency fund.
How The Fund Is Being Distributed
According to MGM officials, payments from the fund will go directly to service providers. It will cover costs for employees including their mortgages, rent, utilities, and/or medical bills.
These short-term grants are aimed at helping the company’s full-time, on-call, laid-off, furloughed, or separated employees.
This fund should be a big help to those MGM employees, especially with the property being shutdown since March 18, and not expected to open back up until April 30.
MGM Gives Back During This Time of Need
While this is a challenging time for not only MGM Grand but all gaming venues in the state, MGM is still finding ways to give back.
So far, they’ve donated at least 454,000 meals through local food banks to help provide food so that those in need of it in communities across the country don’t go hungry.
The company is working with local food banks, ensuring that the fresh, available food from their resorts is being safely and quickly donated to charitable organizations in underserved areas in the community.
“We’ve also stepped up our commitment to communities around the country. Over the past week, MGM has donated the equivalent of 400,000 meals through local food banks to alleviate food insecurity in the United States,” Hornbuckle said.
Holding Onto Hope For A Brighter Tomorrow
Currently, MGM Grand’s lit-up marquee sign reads “We don’t have to be together to stand together.”
We’re happy to see this scale of community effort on the part of major casino operators and celebrities. Right now, everyone could use a little bit of help, and we’re glad to see the ways in which the city of Las Vegas has risen to the challenge, despite the blow their economy is facing.
We have no doubt that Las Vegas will come back even stronger once the dust settles.
What kind of acts of generosity or donations have you been seeing in your local community? We’d love to know. Share your stories with us below!