Major Las Vegas Strip Casinos Will Close Down on Tuesday

Las Vegas StripSince Mayor Goodman declared Nevada in a State Emergency on Thursday, one day before President Trump declared the United States in a National Emergency due to COVID-19, casino operators have been responding in bold ways.

As the saying goes, “desperate times call for desperate measures.” In an unheard-of decision, several major Las Vegas Strip casinos will be closing their doors this Tuesday, March 17, in an effort to best protect the public from the coronavirus outbreak.

Currently, there are 20 reported cases of coronavirus in Nevada.

From MGM Resorts International to Wynn’s Las Vegas properties shutting down, it will be a quiet week on the Las Vegas Strip.

Here are all the casinos we know of that will be shutting down starting on Tuesday, what casinos are currently choosing to remain operational, and what’s being suspended at properties that are going to keep their doors open.

MGM Resorts International Closing their Properties

First, they announced that they would be shutting down their buffets, now MGM Resorts International will temporarily suspend the entire casino operations of nine of their Las Vegas operations starting on Tuesday “until further notice.”

MGM Resorts owns and operates Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Luxor, New York-New York, Excalibur, and Park MGM, and 50% of CityCenter; Aria and Vdara, with Vdara closing down while Aria will remain open.

This is a first in Las Vegas history that casino properties are closing their doors, but Chairman and CEO Jim Murren believes it’s for “the good of our employees, guests, and communities.”

“It is now apparent that this is a public health crisis that requires major collective action if we are to slow its progression,” Murren said in a statement last Sunday evening. “We will plan to reopen our resorts as soon as it (is) safe to do so and we will continue to support our employees, guests, and communities in every way that we can during this period of closure.”

This announcement comes on the heels of MGM Resorts shutting down their buffets last week, and Wynn Resorts closing their spa,

The company said no reservations will be taken for arrivals before May 1.

How The Shutdown Will Affect MGM Employees

As far as what the next couple of weeks will look like for MGM employees, the company said in a letter that full-time employees who are being furloughed or laid off will be compensated two weeks of paid work from their last day of work.

All employees who are currently on the company’s health plan are promised to keep their benefits through June 30. Murren said that salaried employees “should expect to continue working until further notice.”

“We deeply regret the strain it will cause families and our community partners, and we will do all we can to mitigate it,” as the letter reads. “When we do (reopen), we will be ready to welcome the world back to our properties.”

The company currently estimates that they will be closed for two weeks, and will reassess how to proceed after that timeframe.

Caesars Entertainment Suspends Live Entertainment

Another major casino operator, Caesars Entertainment, has yet to announce the closure of any of their properties just yet. Caesars Entertainment Las Vegas properties include Caesar’s Palace, Rio, Harrah’s, Planet Hollywood, Paris Las Vegas, Bally’s, The Cromwell, Nobu Las Vegas, The LINQ, and Flamingo.

While they’re not shutting down total operations, they have suspended all live entertainment up until the end of March, effective Sunday evening.

For those who bought tickets for shows that fall within the suspension period, refunds and exchanges will be available at the point of purchase.

“We are taking these bold measures now and look forward to welcoming guests back to enjoy world-class entertainment experiences as soon as we are able,” Caesars Entertainment said in a company statement. “We thank you for your understanding and patience as we work through these challenging circumstances.”

Wynn Resorts Las Vegas Properties to Temporarily Close

Wynn Las Vegas and Encore will also be temporarily closing their casinos effective this Tuesday, beginning at 6 p.m.

The decision came on the same day that MGM Resort International said they were closing down their properties, and on the same day that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced their safety protocol of discouraging public gatherings of 50 or more people over the next eight weeks.

On Saturday, Wynn Resorts Las Vegas closed their poker rooms, sportsbooks, spas and salons, effective Sunday.

In a press release, Wynn Resorts assured employees that they are “committed to paying all full-time Wynn and Encore employees during the closure.”

“What our concern is is that we all get through this together,” CEO Matt Maddox said in an internal video addressing to staff.

Las Vegas Sands Company says Venetian and Palazzo Will Remain Open

Las Vegas Sands Company, who runs The Venetian and Palazzo, will be keeping the doors to their resorts open and are not considering enacting any layoffs at this time.

Ron Reese, a spokesman for the company, said that Sands will “continue taking the recommended precautions necessary to keep our team members and guests safe.”

The company also promised to work with employees who are being impacted by Governor Steve Sisolak’s decision, which was made Sunday afternoon, that called for K-12 schools in Clark County to be shut down until April 13.

“The company is not considering layoffs or any changes to any of our existing health care benefit plans,” the statement said. “Our team members are our most valuable asset and we have every intention of getting through this challenging situation together.”

It’s an extremely unique situation that’s going on not only in Las Vegas but the rest of the world. Be sure to check back regularly to find the latest news on how the coronavirus outbreak is continuing to impact Las Vegas and its casino industry.